10.09.2011

Brooklyn Log: Day 3

 [JR piece on Houston//source]
October 5, 2011

Left BK for the first time since I've been here.  When Powell came home from work, we took the train to Pianos-a bar/lounge on Manhattan's Lower East Side.  I ordered  Absolute Mandarin with Sprite from the bartender.  It tastes like spiked Fanta with lemonade.  The spot was cool.  I especially liked the taxidermy/nursery room themed display near the upstairs stairwell.  I wish I'd took pictures.

Apparently "Old School" Hip-Hop is a trend in the bar scene here.  I don't remember it being like that when I lived on St. Marks in '07.  My guess is the people who dance and know all the words to Juvenile and Cash Money these days (mostly trendy business suits) turned their nose up at it in its "hey-day".  Trends, for that reason, can get under my skin.   So being at Pianos was kind of lame.

When we left the lounge, Powell and I walked aimlessly through Lower Manhattan.  He showed me a JR piece on Houston near the train.  His current project is a photo series featuring eyes of Native American tribesman.  It brings a sort of fierceness to the cityscape.  As if New York weren't fierce enough, already.

No comments: