9.22.2011

Drugs and Kaleidoscopes

 [source

Xanthous green and banana pepper yellow.  Colored ribbon and swirl bong.  I sat on Jordan's couch taking hits from its mouthpiece.  Both place and item familiar.  For some reason I came to revisit, those stale smells and sticky drink cups.  With Grenadine spiked Corona.  I wanted to impress him, maybe.  Or tell him how I felt.  Be his friend, or just get high to decompress.  But either way I was there, intent on enjoying myself.   We laughed. 

The laughing became unstoppable.  To the point they thought I was deft.  Saying things about me, as if I weren't in their room.  I was and I could hear them.

"She's the happiest person I ever met." J said, talking to Chuck.  "She could be like 'I had the worst day' and still have a smile on her face. I don't know how she does it." 

I continued to laugh, pretending to be distracted. As though to protect him from shame.  As if he'd recoil for being honest.  And I kept laughing, with my arms up.  Thinking to myself, maybe we feel the same.

 [source]

I hoped to get to a place between us-one day he and I; myself and my friends.  Where we can say what's on our mind, without having to dilute speech with substance.  Drinking for courage to speak.  But for now I'll take it for granted, and continue laughing at his jokes and screening silly films.  This time-The Animatrix.  Not that it was meant to be funny, but under the circumstance it was.  

 [source]

Among the rift raft and the cloudiness of my mind, I corkscrewed deep into thought.  Contemplating the value of anime.  I've never thought much of it before, but Animatrix birthed reverence in me for the genre.  Being a creative person myself, I noticed elements in its technicality that simply took my breath.  And yes I was laughing, for its dopeness it tickled me.  Every second I fell more amused.

Amusement lead to assumptions, as I conjured elaborate back-stories of who the creators of Animatrix might be.  I imagined they're from the future.  Galactic wise-men back traveling time.  Delivering cautionary tales disguised as entertainment cerebral in its sway.  But I wasn't entirely certain, since I was watching the film through kaleidoscopes (I had brought them with me), slicing the scene into billionths of degrees.  Patterns endless with angles. Rhythmic intricate things.  Through it I saw a young goddess whose hand released a flame.  Eyes closed, serene face like Buddha.  I know she exists somewhere.  And that's comforting.  I watched her through the kaleidoscope, on mute while the stereo blared Dubstep and Stalley.  Through all this, the world seemed lovelier than ever.
 
 [source]

Round 5 the next morning, we called it a night.  Falling asleep on either side of J's couch.  At some point, he covered me with a blanket.

Leaving his high rise in the bright light of noon, I carried 4 inflated balloons with me.  Three were gold.  One of them black.  (The plan was to release them from Jordan's windows, but we didn't.  So I decided to take them home.)  The rest of the day they floated in the rear seat of my car, deflating while I went to brunch.  I drank the tastiest white mocha.  

My mood was exceptionally pleasant that day-still high but this time on life.  I didn't need kaleidoscopes or J's bong to see that beauty and mystery's just a part of life.  I'm glad I understand that while sober. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

weed is not a drug.