8.27.2011

Midwest ✈ Miami

2
 [Shore of Hilton Resort in Key Largo, FL]

[Revised] When I flew into Miami I wasn't expecting much.  I knew my flight would land at night and that I would drive to Key Largo the next morning.  Or I should say our flight and we would drive, because from August 5 to August 12, 2011 I traveled with my mom and her 63 year old friend, Norene, through the southern tip of Florida.  America's "Sunshine State".  

Our objective was to visit Key Largo and attend my sister's wedding, then drive to Orlando to see Norene's eldest son, Trey.  Why we planned to be there for 7 days is beyond me, but that's what my mom wanted to do and whatever mom says goes.  

Everything we planned to do, Mom Norene and I did.  We arrived at the resort my sister' wedding was on just in time for the ceremony, and the following day

I think trips should be lsss about ageda and more about just enjoying eacothers company.  

The Sunshine State.  I don't know why that was ever Florida's State Motto (changed to "In God We Trust" in 2006). Every time I've been there in the last 10 years, it has rained during all the important days of my trip and was sunny all the non-important days-i.e. the day we leave for the airport.  And in my mind I think-What's the point of going to Florida if it's going to rain the whole time?  Maybe that's looking at my cup half empty but I'm a beach kind of girl.  My glass is only half full if I''m going to the beach.  Not sitt

*i said its a drag being in forida in the rain but abruptly traisiton into talking about the beach. bridge that better

In the midst of the rain, there was a lot of driving.  In the midst of driving there was pure boredom and a well of untapped restlessness.  Beyond that there was dinning at places with lots of fatty food, a wealth of intoxication, a trip to Urgent Care, shopping at Marshall's, and a romantic mini drama desperate to unfold (Trey and his girlfriend argued passive aggressively 90% of the time I interacted with them, and would try to involve me by asking me to take sides).  It was crazy.

On the flip-side, my favorite part of the trip was my subscription to Netflix.  I watched a couple documentaries-One being "Art&Copy" (I highly recommend watching it) and started on the entire catalog of The Office.  It's my new favorite show (added to the list of Dr. Katz, Home Movies, Flight of the Concords, and Sex and the City).

 
[Best Moments of my favorite Office character-Creed]

Moral of the Story:  Make the best of your family trip by ...If you're ever on a family trip that you deem less than desirable, whip out a computer, iPad, or mobile device with web access and subscribe to Netflix.  It's free your first month and and $__ after that fro unlimited streaming of TVs Hollywood Blockbusters and Independent films.  Use your family vacation to catch upon 6 years of cable entertainment you wont regret it.

*the post is midwet to miami buti only talk about miami in the first line of the post...either mention more about miami or sum op the tory of the trip by talking boutmiami. ie. miami was the gate to all things that week. thats where our trip began and thats where our trip ended.

My plan was to separate from the group.  To drive somewhere...to planned to go venture off into a grassy knoll or a woods and set up a camera on a tripod. but due to the outcome of the trip.the way the trip played out. there never seemed to be anytime available to steal for myself. 

No comments: